Search This Blog

The Things We Absorb

Our skin is porous, which means it absorbs a lot of what we put on it ~ makeup, shaving cream, body lotions, shampoos, nail polish, sunscreen. It is an unfortunate reality that we in the U.S. are exposed in this way to many chemicals that the citizens of other countries are not. Many companies even sell two versions of the same product ~ with and without controversial ingredients ~ one for the U.S. and the other for elsewhere (slideshow): http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-wellness/12-cosmetic-ingredients-legal-in-the-us-but-banned-elsewhere#1
   I thought that my drugstore eye makeup remover was as pure as a commercial product could be, as it was supposed to be gentle and hypoallergenic, but when I finally looked at the list of ingredients (after using it for years!), I was unpleasantly surprised. So I decided to do some research and found an easy-to-make, three-ingredient DIY remover that works without being too oily. It's equal parts water (purified, if possible, of course), witch hazel, and sweet almond oil (or any kind, I think). That's it. Simple and inexpensive. Just remember to shake it before using. Disclaimer!: Of course, as with almost anything, different people react differently to the same thing. For example, the witch hazel could sting the eyes, but as I am careful and keep my eyes tightly closed, I haven't had a problem. Use your judgment here.
   Here's a list of ingredients to avoid when shopping for body-care products (wallet-size cards to print out): https://www.beautycounter.com/FileUploads/DocumentLibrary/Documents/PocketNeverList.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment