Search This Blog

From the Archives: RoyalList

Most of my posts are not time-sensitive, and most of them link to very wonderful things. Because I don't want anyone to miss out on them, I will occasionally re-post some of my favorites, like this one (and, of course, this particular post is making its reappearance at this particular time because, as you may know, the recently arrived Royal Bébé has not yet been given a name):
Kate & George Alexander Louis (or GAL) Scott Heavey/Getty


Willie, Willie, Harry, Steve
Harry, Dick, John, Harry Three.
Edward One, Two, Three, Dick Two,
Henry Four, Five, Six, then who?
Edward Four, Five, Dick the Bad,
Harrys twain, and Ned, the lad.
Mary, Lizzie, James the Vain,
Charlie, Charlie, James again.
William and Mary, Anne o'Gloria,
Four Georges, William and Victoria,
Edward Seven, Georgie Five,
Edward, George and Liz (alive).


   Apropos of not much (well, actually, there is a reason I was looking this up*), a little poem English schoolchildren learn to help them remember the names of all the English kings and queens, starting with William the Conqueror (who became king when he defeated Harold II Godwineson at the Battle of Hastings in 1066). A full list, including bios, is here: http://www.britroyals.com/rulers.htm
   *OK, last night, I went to see one of my all-time favorite comedians, Eddie Izzard, who sometimes alludes to how we Americans are rather illiterate when it comes to history and the rest of the world. And, so as not to feel too much as if he was referring specifically to me, I decided to refresh my knowledge of English history, starting with the royals. ... Izzard, btw, was in typically fine fettle.

No comments:

Post a Comment