Search This Blog

For Whom the Bridge Tolls

At least twice during my high school/college years, I had the happy surprise of driving up to the tollbooth at the San Francisco end of the Golden Gate Bridge and having the attendant tell me with a smile that "the young gentleman in the car ahead of you just paid your toll." I'd look up only to see whoever it was driving off with a wave in the rear-view mirror or out the window. A couple of times, I did it to my mother, though I can't for the life of me remember why we were driving into the city separately. Once, the attendant passed me a guy's business card (and no, I never called him).
   Anyway, the point is that these kinds of human moments won't be happening anymore, as the attendants have collected their last tolls. Like so many people, they are being replaced by an electronic system: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21950015

No comments:

Post a Comment