Search This Blog

Forbidden Fruits (& Veg)

Vindication is sweet. As a child and much to my parents' chagrin and frustration, I refused to eat cherries or apples, and when I finally tried them again when I was older, I realized why: They made my lips and mouth, and once, even my esophagus, itch and swell up a little. Hazelnuts do it, too. When I would tell people this, they were nice enough about it, but I could see the skepticism in their eyes. Apples and cherries? Hazelnuts? Really? Yes, really. As this article explains, it's all about allergies, and interestingly, allergic reactions to certain fruits and vegetables (called oral allergy syndrome) can be linked to allergies to certain pollens. If your mouth itches when you eat apples, for example, you're probably also allergic to the pollen of birch trees. Same with cherries and hazelnuts. If your trouble is with broccoli, bell pepper, carrots, or cauliflower, chances are you're also allergic to mugwort (story, charts): https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/does-your-mouth-itch-when-you-eat-apples-or-other-fruits/2015/08/31/94d06c36-3f68-11e5-8d45-d815146f81fa_story.html

No comments:

Post a Comment