Search This Blog

A Very Very Very Twine House

Who would have thought?: portraits of wood-and-stone, mortar-and-brick houses made with cloth, yarn, and thread. Salt Lake City-based artist Stephanie K. Clark likens her embroidery to painting. "When I embroider on canvas it feels like oils," she says. "When I embroider on loose shear or silk, it's like a watercolor" (story, photos): http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2015/04/thread-architecture-stephanie-clark/
   In a recent interview, Clark explains that growing up poor rather forced her to be creative with the materials that were available to her. As for what she hopes her work transmits to the public, she says, "Visually, I love it when people bypass my work thinking it's nothing other than a simple painting. Until they look a little closer and see that, in fact, it is fibers [and] thread. Then they have to proceed to look even closer and look into the windows of the home. I like to push my viewers to then question, Whose home is this? What kind of people live in this home?": http://jungkatz.com/2014/12/08/artist-interview-stephanie-k-clark-embroidery-artist/

No comments:

Post a Comment